Sunday, August 11, 2013

Billie J. Cullison
Mrs. Wilhelmus
Ap English Language
27 July 2013
It Is All About Origins
When asking the question "Who am I?", you have to delve deeper into the question to answer it. This is because question itself does not specify any parameters. One could answer it by saying, I am a daughter and granddaughter and a great granddaughter. This explains who I am through my relation to my ancestors and blood relatives. Another option is by putting labels to one's self. 'I am a Whovian, an agnostic, and feminist.' Although this raises even more questions as the parameters of these labels are different and definable by the person who uses them.
So to answer the question, 'who am I?' I have to say I am woman, a child, a daughter, and a granddaughter. These words define me by DNA and relation to those who have gone before me. I can also say I am afraid, confused, and excited as these are the emotions I experience. I can say that I am strong and adaptative as those are the things that people have attributed to me. In addition, I can state that I am a nerd, an aspiring scientist and writer, and I am television enthusiast, as I am interested in those things.
I  could go on forever about what makes me up, but to answer the question in one sentence, I am only defined by my relation to the things and people around me. This constantly changed by what changes around me. This brings me to the conclusion that I am always changing and cannot be defined in a few words, because, like the ocean, I am in a constant state of cause, effect, and change.
As to where the world came from, I believe in the idea that the world was formed by a big bang. I see us as cosmic accidents. I do not believe there is a sentient being looking over us. I understand the world as having an energy, not something that constantly pays attention to our actions, but something like a soul or even a computer program.This can lead to the train of thought that maybe that is all we are. A computer scenario running its course on some giant computer. To me, that is a terrifying thought. The option that we are all ones and zeros on a big screen. To answer the question, 'where does the world come from?'. I believe we started as something scientific, whether it be an experiment or an accident. I believe we are all made of stardust.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you say that you are only defined by your relation to the things/people around you. I also like "cosmic accidents." 20/20

    ReplyDelete