Billie J. Cullison
Mrs. Wilhelmus
AP English Language
9 August 2013
Where I
Fall
Personally,
I felt the strongest connect to Plato's view of women. He understood
that something's container does not give proper basis by which to
judge it. It brings to mind the popular saying “Do not judge a book
by its cover.” He saw how society had put forth limitations for
women. Things such as how a woman must stay in the home and take care
of the children. He understood that if those limitations were taken
away, a woman could do the same job as a man. He did not let physical
differences judge the intelligence of what are basically the same
creations, woman and man.
Aristotle,
on the other hand, grinds my gears. He believed that women were
incomplete men, taking ideas from the biblical story of woman being
created from the rib of Adam. This idea to me is preposterous. Even
more infuriating is the idea that women are passive. Whether it be in
society or in procreation, women are far from passive creatures. We
can hunt, fight, steal, and care for ourselves as well as the next
creature.
Finally, I
would like to think I am in the middle of the rabbit's hair. I try to
put myself out there, think outside of the box, and ponder new ideas
no matter how far out they are. Though, I have a tendency to become
overwhelmed with or cynical of these new ideas. This sends me towards
the rabbit and away from new philosophical ideas. I attempt to push
into new territory when I can, but my history and person philosophy
make me a bit skeptical of certain new ideas. Someday, I would like
to move to the tip of the rabbit's fur and feel comfortable with the
most far out idea, but that seems like a far away place at the
moment.
Good arguments against Aristotle's claims on the "passiveness" of women. 20/20
ReplyDelete